Sharpening the French Edge Beveler
Here's a simple video on sharpening the French edge beveler using green polishing compound and leather scrap.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- leather scrap
- green polishing compound
- Seiwa leather glue
- cutting mat
HOW TO DO IT:
- Rub a good amount of polishing compound on the suede side of a larger leather scrap
- Hold your skiver like you normally would and position the blade end on top of the suede covered in compound
- Pull the blade towards you, running your blade along the surface of the suede, lifting the butt of the skiver near the end of the run
- Repeat this step several times.
- Cut another crap piece of leather into a strip that’s the width of your skiving blade
- Glue it onto the edge of a larger piece of leather
- Cut to size
- Rub the polishing compound on the suede of the strip
- Hold your French skiver upside down and pull towards you, running the blade along the strip
- Repeat this several times
- Repeat the sharpening steps on the grain side of the leather
For leather crafting classes, visit www.soulflower.co.